ABOUT THE WATERING CAN
The Watering Can was founded to fill a need in the Sioux Falls area, and support artists and creatives in their business and professional development. It is our hope to empower artists to succeed in both terms of productivity and financial stability, allowing them to pursue their passion and contribute to the vibrancy of our community.
Being good in business is the most fascinating kind of art. Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art.
– Andy Warhol
The Watering Can is fiscally sponsored by the Sioux Falls Arts Council.
OUR MISSION: To embrace the arts, through community development and assistance to artists, in their professional and leadership development.
Initial goals of The Watering Can:
- Provide professional development for artists and creatives
- Local scheduled classes
- Online classes
- Coaching and consulting
- Creating community for peer support and sharing of resources & knowledge
- Support established for creatives to move to the next level
- Mentor program
- Leadership development to encourage and support creatives to step forward and have the skills to lead
- To be a vehicle for organizations, communities, governmental entities and other nonprofits to develop and implement community development projects and events
- Provide education and opportunities for collectors and potential patrons to be comfortable and willing to financially support artists and their work
The WC remains flexible, understanding the needs of the community and arts are continually changing. We are fluid and able to respond to the ebb and flow of both.
Claudia Dail, a certified business coach, CBC, with vast experience in business, organizational, and leadership development (as well as mentoring), founded The Watering Can to support local artists in developing business skills.
In 2014 the first Business Skills for Artists series was held with support from JAM (a creative reuse center) and Exposure (a gallery and artist studio space). This series was offered once or twice each year. The content was continually refined to meet the needs of artists. The ASN, Artist Support Network, met monthly for several years. It offered a place to gather, share information and gain business knowledge in a casual setting.
Current programing is a Speakers Series focused on visual artists with business information from experienced professionals. These sessions are held the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 6:30 to 8:30 at Rehfeld’s Underground, 431 N. Phillips Ave. Sioux Falls SD, lower level. There is an elevator at the front of the building. This Series is made possible through a grant from the Sioux Falls Community Foundation.